CONGRATULATIONS: John Leeman and Patti Dill, now Leeman, tied the knot last Saturday at a ceremony at the fire station. Congratulations and all the best to both of you! Shevaughn Shay took the oath of allegiance to become an American citizen at a ceremony at Gorham Middle School last Wednesday. Congratulations Shevaughn! Junior EMTs Harmony Cutler and Karina Corbeil completed the EMT program at Sanford Voc. Next is hte NR EMT exam for them. Jr Lt Issiac Hooper passed the Firefighter I and II end last Sunday.
Busy Week: Eight calls in the past 5 days. Great job to the crew who responded to Arundel on Tuesday night. We were able to provide a very talented suppression crew and work the water supply function. The next afternoon we covered an overdose with Arundel. Those are never easy, especially when children are involved.
GMFRA Car Wash: Tomorrow! Please come down and help out.
LIVE FIRE TRAINING: This Sunday, June 11 in Hollis. Sign up on the bulletin board.
The EMR-ISAC InfoGram for June 8, 2017 contains the following articles:
1. Fentanyl: A Briefing Guide for First Responders
2. Updated Active Shooter Response Resources
3. 2017 Mitigation Planning Webinars Continue
4. Apply for National EMS Advisory Council
Invitation to a BBQ: On June 29th at 6:00 the York County Fish and Game is having a barbecue and potluck dinner. YCF&G has graciously invited us to attend. Dinner starts at 1800, but the lodge will be openned at 1700. The meal is hamburgers and hot dogs and Fish & Game members will be bringing dishes to go along with it. Please contact Mike Doherty if you plan to attend.
Mike Doherty, President York County Fish & Game, (207) 205-3144.
Hollis Equestrian Center is looking to hire an EMT to be on duty for their horse show on July 16th from 0800 to 1630. If you're interested please contact Robin Cuffey at 929-6562.
EVO2 Recerts: June is EVO2 recert month. Thanks to Lt. Johnston we have a plan for EVO2 recertification. We will working on this as a department night, but feel free to complete it independently. The Bureau of Labor Standards requires recertification of every apparatus every three years. You must drive and operate all three pumpers. The training requirements are in the orange binder in the operations room.
CHF Class: On Tuesday, June 20th Lt. Daniels will be teaching a class on Congestive Heart Failure.
Community CPR Classes: FF/EMT Gambino has been trying to organize a community CPR class. If you are interested in helping him out please contact him for details. We had a couple local businesses asking for the training.
EVO2 Test: We have one person who is ready to test for their EVO2 and at least one or two others are close. If you are someone who is close please finish up soon so we can schedule one test for all of you.
Fire Academy Graduation: June 19th at 1830 at Thornton Academy. Students graduating from thehe YCCA Firefighter I & II Academy, Saco & Goodwins Mills Basic Firefighter School, Sanford Regional Vocational Center Firefighter I & II Program will be presented with certifications. Anyone may attend, Class A uniform preferred. Our own FF Shevaughn Shay (BFS) and Jr Lt Issiac Hooper (SRTC) will be recognized.
Town Meetings: Thursday, June 15th both Towns will be holding their respective Town Meetings. Lyman's is at 1800 at the Lyman Elementary School and Dayton's is at 1900 at the Dayton Town Hall.
New Water Cooler: The new water cooler, a bubbler type, has been installed. The filtered water cooler will be removed soon.
Pharmacy and Regional Drug Box Changes coming: This is the latest information I've received from Dr Schmits on the upcoming changes and processes for swaping out meds:
· SMHC has submitted purchase orders for new Pyxis stations which will be placed in each of the two EMS workrooms.
· SMHC, MMC and Mercy pharmacy departments are collaborating in attempts to standardize or practices as much as possible to reduce variability for the services.
· Facilities will need to make minor alterations to the counters in the Biddeford EMS room to accommodate the new Pyxis unit. Sanford’s EMS room will not require physical changes.
· Security will be installing cameras into each of the EMS workrooms to monitor the Pyxis units.
· Each service will be granted a generic user login to obtain non-controlled medications on a one-for one basis. This is not ideal but necessary due to logistics in granting access to individual non-employed persons that may work for different services.
· Each service will be responsible for training their staff on Pyxis, maintaining training records and safeguarding the logins and passwords. This is consistent for MMC, Mercy and SMHC.
· MMC currently has granted paramedics personal access to Pyxis to obtain and waste controlled substances. SMHC may pursue this in the future.
· The Pyxis units are only to be used for restocking of administered medications. This is because administered medications will be charged to the EMS services.
· Restocking of outdated or damaged items will need to be done through the pharmacy department as they will not be charged to the services.
There are still some outstanding issues with the new procedures that are being worked out. More info to follow.
LifeFlight- Sanford: LifeFlight Sanford is now operating on a 24/7 basis. Lt Daniels is working on setting up a ground school for us later this summer.
Fentanyl information: Please see the briefing guide from the US DOJ regarding fentanyl and first responders. CLICK HERE for a copy. I've also placed a copy is on the kitchen table. .
Events Next Week: Sunday: 0700 Live Fire Training Hollis. Monday: 1900 SMFNA meeting at GMFR; Tuesday; VOTING! all day, 1600 Prospective Student Interviews, 1830 FD Training EVO2. Thursday: Town Meetings. Friday: 0900 EVO2 training.
Have a safe weekend,
Roger S. Hooper, Fire Chief
Goodwins Mills Fire-Rescue
481 Goodwins Mills Road
Lyman, ME 04002
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction:
“I served in the United States Navy”” – John F. Kennedy (JFK)